(De Nederlandse versie van dit artikel staat hier)
Get the most out of gift vouchers
Gift vouchers are a win-win-win: guests enjoy giving it, it is always nice to receive a gift and for you as a restaurateur it's extra revenue. This way you attain new guests and all receipts that are not returned are a 100% profit! An ideal product. Although spending and redeeming gift vouchers takes time and can be complicated to keep track of, Formitable has introduced digital gift vouchers, fully integrated into the reservation system. You can make your own arrangements and choose which products you want to sell. Afterwards you can immediately start selling via your own website.
Have a look at the gift voucher shop from Daalder for some inspiration
Before you start
- Connect via Mollie. Just like Tickets and Take-away, you collect the proceeds of gift vouchers in your own Mollie account. No Mollie account yet? Sign up here.
- Test modus. Have you connected Mollie, installed the Gift vouchers app and created your first gift voucher? Before you go live, you can test buying gift vouchers in Test mode. Do not forget to switch off Test mode afterwards! The Test mode can be found under Settings > Setup.
- The second you’re done setting up Gift vouchers, your Formitable widget will show an 'Gift voucher' button. That's a great start, but we also advice you to create a dedicated page on your restaurant website and activate the Promotional pop-up to boost your sales.
Creating gift vouchers
To create a gift voucher go to Products > Gift Vouchers. Click the Create voucher button. You can choose Ticket voucher (packages) and Amount (fixed amount).
- Ticket voucher. Would you like to offer packages such as a high tea or a fully catered all-inclusive dinner? Then choose the first tab ‘Ticket voucher’ and select a ticket from the list. You can change the title, text and the amount to make the tickets suitable as a gift voucher.
- Amount. You can also offer fixed amounts as a gift voucher. This would be a nice addition to your arrangements. Go to the second tab Amount, choose a suggested amount or fill in an amount yourself. For this type of voucher you can upload your own design (Image) or simply choose a color (Color). Your logo is automatically incorporated in the design.
Tip on ticket vouchers: A ticket voucher is linked to a ticket, and the ticket of your voucher needs to be bookable, otherwise your guests can't redeem their voucher. Connect a shift to the original ticket to make it bookable. You can set the shift to private so that only people with the voucher can book it.
Tip on amount: Refrain from creating only expensive arrangements, put together also a cheaper restaurant experience or lunch package. That way you stay within everyone's budget.
Tip on Validity: By default, gift vouchers can be redeemed until two years after the date of purchase. You can adjust this under Settings > Setup to a minimum of one year and a maximum of five years.
Redeeming vouchers and applying codes to reservations
Gift vouchers can be redeemed in two ways: at the time of booking or at the restaurant.
- Redeem during reservation. Every giftcard sold has a unique code. Gift voucher recipients can enter their code during the reservation process. The code is checked and linked to the correct arrangement or amount. In Formitable these reservations are immediately recognizable by a wrapped gift icon. When you open the reservation, you will receive a summary of the purchase in the payment tab (illustrated by a credit card icon). In the gift voucher tab you can see which gift voucher has been redeemed.
- Redeem in the restaurant. When guests come in with a gift voucher or when guests have booked without entering the code, you can check the code manually. For this you add the gift voucher to a reservation.
- If it is a walk-in, first put the walk-in into the system.
- If it is a reservation, look up the reservation. When you open the reservation, you can enter the code manually via the tab. The system checks the code and links it to the correct arrangement or amount by agreement.
Redeem during reservation:
In the booking you will find the description of the voucher purchase
Redeem in the restaurant:
You can also easily redeem the gift voucher in the restaurant by applying the voucher code
Connecting to administration
- An overview of all payments can be found under Insights > Orders. An order means that a payment has been made. Normal reservations without payment are therefore not included in this overview. Orders can be exported from Formitable as an Excel file.
- Just like tickets, you receive the proceeds from the gift vouchers directly in your Mollie account. You can also download a file from Mollie. For more information about the accounting process: https://help.mollie.com/hc/nl/categories/201780389-Administration
- To match the transactions of Formitable and Mollie, you can use the Mollie Payment ID. This can be found in both the export file of Formitable and the export of Mollie.